How to update StudioLive RM32AI firmware
Note: If you are updating your RM Mixer from firmware version 5844 or earlier, please watch the video link shown in STEP 11 to see what to expect when updating. If you are updating from any other firmware version after 5844, you may skip this video as it will not apply.
Your StudioLive RM32AI mixer can be updated by simply connecting a USB thumb drive loaded with the firmware files. Please be sure to review all instructions before updating your StudioLive RM32AI mixer.
Note: While a regular Firmware Update will not reset your mixer or erase your Scenes and Presets, it is highly recommended that you make a mixer Backup as a precaution prior to updating. This Backup file can then be restored to the mixer if it’s ever necessary to reload the Scenes and Presets you had saved previously.
It is important to understand that a mixer Backup will only backup your Scenes, Quick Scenes, Mute Groups, and Fat Channel, FX, and GEQ presets. It does NOT backup the current settings of the mixer. You must first save these settings as a Scene to the internal Scene Memory of the mixer so that a Backup will capture that information.
For more information on Scene and Preset management and creating mixer Backups in UC Surface, please see this Knowledgebase Article.
It is highly recommended that when doing a Firmware Recovery that you use a Sandisk Cruzer USB flash drive between 2-8 GB as mentioned in the following knowledge base article. Some flash drives will not work correctly for Firmware Recovery, but Sandisk Cruzer drives have shown to be reliable and compatible: SanDisk Cruzer USB Flash Drive Compatibility with StudioLive AI
- Download the firmware files for your mixer. Please review all instructions before updating your mixer.
- Open your downloads folder and locate the StudioLive firmware folder. The folder will be named with your mixer’s model number and the new firmware version (e.g. RM32AI_v4737).
- Depending on your system preferences, the firmware folder may not automatically be uncompressed from the .zip file. To expand/unzip it, simply double-click it.
- In the unzipped folder you will find the five firmware files:
You will need all five files to upgrade your mixer.
- Connect a FAT32-formatted USB thumb drive to your computer.
Note: We recommend doing a fresh format of the drive. It is important that you use a drive no smaller than 1 GB and no larger than 32 GB in size. If the update cannot start or complete, it is highly recommended that you do a full reformat of your thumb drive as FAT32. If you’re still unsuccessful, you may need to try a different USB thumb drive.
On Windows, be sure to do a "Full" format as opposed to a "Quick" format.
On Mac, the choice will be listed as MS-DOS (FAT). IMPORTANT: As of OSX 10.11 El Capitan, there is an additional format option you MUST select. “Partition Type” should be set to “Master Boot Record” and NOT the default “GUID”. See here for more info.
- Select all five firmware files and either copy/paste or drag them to the root of your thumb drive. Make sure the files are at the top level of your drive and not contained in a folder. It’s also advised to make sure no other files are on the drive other than the five firmware files. Eject your drive and disconnect it from your computer.
- Power on your mixer
- Remove your WiFi adapter (if present) and insert the thumb drive into the USB port on the front of your RM series mixer.
Note: It will take approximately five seconds for your mixer to detect your thumb drive. Count to five slowly before proceeding to the next step.
- Open UC Surface and connect to your RM Mixer. Click the Settings icon at the top right of the UC Surface window (gears icon). Under the Device Settings Tab, click “Check Firmware Update”
- A progress bar will be shown in UC Surface during the first part of the firmware update. Once it is complete, UC Surface will inform you that it is finished and will ask you to power-cycle the mixer.
The update progress will also be indicated on the mixer’s LED Input Signal indicators, showing progressing amber lights, and then all green lights when the update is complete.
- Once you have power-cycled the mixer, it may need to complete some additional option card programming, depending on which firmware version you’re updating from. If this is the case, you will see the channel LEDs indicate progress on the front of the mixer again, illuminating amber from left to right, and green at the completion of each stage, rebooting itself as needed.
Note: The following video will show what to expect as your RM Mixer boots for the first time after updating from firmware 5844 or earlier to AVB-enabled firmware 6184 or later: http://youtu.be/Li5vHj7A08A
- Once all portions of the update are complete, the mixer will show a solid red power light, indicating it is online and awaiting a UC Surface connection.
- Restart UC Surface and revisit the Device Settings Tab in the Settings Menu and observe the firmware version reported. The last 4 digits of the firmware version reported here should match the version of the files you downloaded for your mixer.
Note: As of Firmware 7784, there are some new networking features for the RM series mixers that may result in UC Surface being unable to connect immediately after an update. If for any reason you are unable to connect with UC Surface and/or the Power light is solid purple, you will need to simply power cycle your mixer once more.
- Once you have confirmed that the update was completed successfully, please click the Confirm button at the bottom of this page so you will know when a new update is available.
Note: In the event that the Firmware Update will not start, fails to complete, or otherwise leaves the mixer inoperative, you may be required to do a Firmware Recovery, which will reload the mixer’s entire firmware image, erase all user Scenes and Presets, and reset the mixer to a factory default state. Please see here for more information.
I confirm that I have successfully updated my device firmware to version 9244.