Disable WSUS on SBS 2008 or 2011
Why you should Disable WSUS on SBS 2008 or 2011 ?
At time you may need to disable WSUS on SBS2008 or 2011 rather than uninstalling as on a SBS 2008/2011 server all the components like Exchange, SharePoint, WSUS, etc. are linked with SBS Console. If we uninstall any of the above components from the SBS 2008/2011 server, we may come across SBS Console crashing issues.
Hence, to avoid this situation, its recommend disabling the component instead of removing/uninstalling them.
How to Disable WSUS on SBS 2008/SBS 2011:
- Log into the server.
- Go to Services.msc
- Right click on “Update Services”
- Select “Stop”.
- After stopping it select “Disable”
- Click OK.
- Now go to GPMC.msc
- Expand “Forest -> Domains –> Domain Name –> Group Policy Objects”
- Right click “Update Services Client Computer Policy”.
- Select “All settings disabled”.
- Repeat Steps 9 and 10 for
Update Services Common Settings Policy
- Run “gpupdate /force” on the server once.
- Open registry editor in elevated command prompt :Run as administrator : regedit
- Navigate through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindowsUpdateAU
If the above key does not exist, please create the new keys as required. [Note : May need to create WindowsUpdate and AU keys]
- Create new DWORD(32 bit) Value “UseWUServer ” without quote.
Set the value as 0 .
- Exit from regedit.
Disable WSUS Administration and WSUSPool from application pool from IIS Manger
- Open Internet information Services (IIS) Manger.
- Select Application Pools in the Right pane and then select WsusPool .
- Click on Stop in the Application Pool Tasks if its running under Actions .
On the same page ,after disabling WsusPool from application pools, select WSUS Administration and stop the same from Actions
Steps to detach the WSUS Database
- Launch SQL Server Management Studio Express console as an administrator. It is located under
- Fill in the following information and then click Connect
Server type: Database Engine
Authentication: Windows Authentication
SQL Server 2005 Login Prompt
- Expand Databases and right-click on SUSDB and select … from the context menu.
SQL Server 2005 Database
- Select the “Drop Connection” checkbox and click OK.
WSUS Database Drop Connection
- Restart the windows update service.
- Close all the windows and log off from the server.